Temperatures are dropping fast now that winter is in full swing, and with holidays just around the corner, it is important to have a furnace that can keep up with your growing needs, without costing you an arm and a leg. Aside from stopping altogether, it can be challenging for homeowners to spot signs of needed heating repairs. However, the earlier you notice issues and contact a qualified professional, the less likely it is that you will experience major breakdowns—leaving you and your family out in the cold. Our skilled technicians at Air One Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing have over a decade of experience providing high-quality heater repair and replacement, and we are sharing the most common signs of a flagging heater, so you can stay warm and cozy all winter long.
8 Warning Signs that Your Furnace Needs Repairs
- Banging, rattling, or grinding noises: While all heaters make a little noise, if you hear a rattling, squealing, or grinding sound when your heater starts up, it is a sign that an individual component is loose or worn down, or your motor needs to be inspected.
- An unexpected rise in energy bills: It is natural to see an increase in heating usage during the winter, resulting in higher energy bills. However, if you are seeing your bills rise, without commensurate heater use, it could indicate your system is overworking.
- Your pilot light is yellow: Your flame should always look blue. If it begins to look yellow, it is a sign that carbon monoxide is present. This is something that should be addressed immediately by a professional, who can quickly fix the problem.
- The system is constantly cycling on and off: While your thermostat is what normally regulates the cycle of your heater, if you notice the system is turning on and off way too frequently, it is a sign your heat exchanger is malfunctioning or overheating.
- Cold spots throughout your home: Inconsistent heating is a symptom of a larger problem and requires a professional to accurately diagnose, as it could be due to an overworked system or poor ductwork insulation. No matter what, if your furnace can't keep up with your needs, you should get it looked at ASAP.
- Poor indoor air quality: Is the air in your home feeling too stuffy? This could be a result of an insufficient heater filter that is allowing airborne contaminants to invade your space.
- Dust buildup around your vents: If the vents around your furnace are covered in dust, it is a sign your heater is unable to clean your air properly and your filters should be cleaned or replaced.
- You need to crank up the heat: If you find yourself constantly having to dial up the heat you could be experiencing one of two issues—either a thermostat problem or a heater malfunction.
If you live in Rialto or any of the surrounding areas and need heater repairs, contact our experienced technicians at Air One Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing. We can get your home feeling cozy again in no time! Call us today at (909) 505-2471.