When it comes to annual air-conditioning maintenance, the return on investment (ROI) can be significant. Regular maintenance can reduce energy costs and extend the life of your system, making proper AC maintenance essential for any building or homeowner. However, there are several key tips to remember that will ensure you’re getting the most out of your HVAC service. In this guide, we’ll look at eight easy tips that will help you lower energy costs and maximize the efficiency of your mini-split AC system.
- Change Filters Regularly: Replacing the filters in an HVAC system regularly is one of the most critical steps for saving energy and money. Dirty filters create a resistance to airflow, which can reduce the efficiency of your HVAC system by up to 15%. This reduction in efficiency leads to higher energy use and excess wear on the fan motor.
- Inspect Insulation: Another key factor for improving ROI is to regularly inspect the insulation around ducts, windows, walls, doors, and other areas that are not properly insulated—poor insulation results in energy losses and higher electricity bills. Check for gaps or cracks, and use caulking or weather-stripping to seal them.
- Adjust Your Thermostat: Maintaining a consistent temperature in your home or office is essential, but it doesn’t have to be too hot or cold. Lowering the temperature even a few degrees can save you hundreds of dollars annually. Invest in a programmable thermostat to ensure your AC isn’t running more than needed.
- Clean the Outdoor Unit: The outdoor unit of an air conditioning system must always be kept clean. Otherwise, it won’t function properly, and your energy bills will increase. Clear away debris or dirt from the surface and use a garden hose to wash it down.
- Regular Service Checks: One of the most important ways to ensure your HVAC system is running efficiently is by having regular service checks done by a qualified technician. These professionals can look for potential issues before they become major problems, saving you time and money.
- Check Your AC Lines: To keep your air-conditioning system running as efficiently as possible, it’s essential to check the ducts for any leaks or cracks that could be causing air loss. If there are any signs of leaking, use insulation tape and mastic sealant to seal them up.
- Monitor Refrigerant Levels: Refrigerant is the lifeblood of an air-conditioning system, so it’s important to keep track of your levels. Over time, refrigerant levels can drop due to leaks or simply from normal wear and tear, leading to higher energy costs.
- Replace Worn Parts: Lastly, any worn or damaged parts should be replaced as soon as possible to ensure your system is running as efficiently as possible. This includes checking the fan motor, compressor, and other components for signs of wear and tear. Replacing these parts when necessary will help extend the life of your HVAC system and keep energy costs low.
By following these tips, you can save money on energy costs while also extending the life of your mini-split AC system. Remember that regular AC maintenance is essential, so schedule service with a qualified technician at least once a year. You can get the most out of your air-conditioning system and keep energy costs low with proper care and attention.
Ready to take the next step and ensure your mini-split AC system runs efficiently? Contact us at Air One Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing today for a free consultation. Our experienced technicians can help you with regular AC maintenance. Get in touch now to get started!